Sabado, Mayo 10, 2014

Review of "Venus in Furs" by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch

VENUS IN FURS ★☆☆☆☆
by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch

Love knows no virtue, no profit; it loves and forgives and suffers everything, because it must.


The first part of the book was quite sufficient and interesting enough. The haunting visions of the beautiful Venus wrapped in her furs dominated the beginning of the story. As Severin's tale was unfurled, it became a curious thing to see how far Wanda would go to feed his insane dreams and fancy, which primarily involves whipping him and completely dominating him. Basically, what Severin wanted was to be wholly under the power of a dazzling woman - who Wanda seemed to qualify - or so he thought. At first, Wanda was reluctant to abide by his wishes; she was experimenting. More often than not her compassion for the man would dominate and she would feel remorse for him, enveloping him in tender kisses to assuage the pain she inflicted. But Severin insisted that it was suffering he wanted. And that he was prepared to become a slave to the beautiful Wanda if thatwas the only way he could stay with her.



My love seems to me like a deep, bottomless abyss, into which I subside deeper and deeper. There is nothing now which could save me from it.



Before the contract between the two was signed, Severin has already performed his duties as a servant faithfully, much to the pleasure of Wanda, who was becoming pleased with her new power and position. As the story progressed, Wanda became even crueler and crueler, until a point that Severin began to think that he was beginning to despise her. However, one kiss or one embrace from her would immediately vanquish such thoughts. This became Severin's weakness and was a crucial thing that led him to his sad fate.



Well, perhaps BDSM just isn't my thing, but I found it rather strenuous to read through the passages of torture and Wanda's harsh laughter resonating in the air. At the beginning, I didn't feel the pain much, because Severin actually enjoyed the pain, I too wasn't burdened with the whips and lashes. But as the time passed by, his masochism would sometimes wear off and I'd cringe slightly whenever he received his blows.



The characters are twisted and mad, especially Severin. Even Wanda too goes beyond the boundaries of normal. But then, perhaps the main reason why I decided to pick this up is because I've grown tired of reading about stories where men beat up the women violently. I want a change of scene. And, obviously, I didn't like it either. BDSM really is just not my thing.

0 comments:

Mag-post ng isang Komento